Saturday, November 1, 2008

Where Did Halloween Go?

When I lived in Brooklyn, I didn't expect many trick-or-treaters. I lived in an apartment building in an urban area - I can see why parents didn't bring their kids to my door. But now that I live in a house in Texas, I figured we'd get TONS of Halloweenies last night. Right? I mean, we're practically in the 'burbs!

Mark and I sat at home last night and waited. My parents came over (they're visiting from Maine) and we made burgers on the grill (Mark makes great burgers) and watched Scrubs on DVD (the musical episode, specifically) and waited some more. Not one child rang our doorbell. I was so excited to see the costumes. I figured that even though we're in a cul-du-sac off a main road, there are enough kids around here (our neighbor even runs a daycare!) that we would need two huge bags of candy to fill their bags.

And now I have those bags of candy - open, even - in my house. Where they will be eaten. By me and Mark. Even we don't need this much candy in our lives! I mean, come on. I bought us a bag of fun-size Almond Joys to not give out at all, to hoard for when all the delicious yummies had been doled out to costumed children. But they never came.

What is up with that? I know it's not like it used to be even ten years ago - we don't know our neighbors like we did then, and lots of parents in my home town were driving their kids around rather than walking by the time I was in high school. But do people not do it at all anymore? My mom tells me that when she was a kid, people gave out homemade treats like popcorn balls and caramel apples. Now we have candy x-rays set up at the police station to make sure sealed candy bars aren't filled with needles. In just two generations, has America gone that sour?

There is cheer on November 1st, though. While I have way too much candy, I did get to go to Texas Book Festival and meet the very cool authors Melissa de la Cruz, Lauren Myracle, Paula Yoo (who loves New London as much as me, yay!) and Jennifer Ziegler (who is from Austin and with whom I've totally talked to at work without knowing it). These ladies have super cool books, and their panel discussion rocked. Paula even gave us a violin performance - some classical favorites followed by some Led Zeppelin! My books are signed and happy now, and I am going to go read them and eat Swedish Fish...if Mark left any for me.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind comments and it was fun to meet you! I've heard you are a fantastic writer - what are you working on? I miss Austin already. xo Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again! So glad we spoke at the fest. We shall visit again soon, I hope. (In fact, I know I'll see you at your work -- holiday shopping!). Take care of your cool self!
    Cheers!
    Jenny Ziegler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula! Who has been spreading rumors about me?! I'm working on a couple YA ms's in a sort of "crop rotation" method. One is a...fantasy-ish?...called Harkness Beach (New London!) in which a cosmic burp has sent a kid to Hell and brought him back to turn it around. The other is a bit more somber, in which a girl tries to write a history report on her ex-boyfriend whom she hasn't seen since he got back from Iraq.

    Also, Austin misses you! We need more Led Zep on violin!

    ReplyDelete